Saturday, March 7, 2015

Smashwords Interview (Question 7): Where did you grow up, and how did this influence your writing?

Smashwords: Where did you grow up, and how did this influence your writing?
 
Queens, New York mostly. Working class neighborhoods exuding the incredible diversity (ethnic, racial, lingual, political, cultural) that exists everywhere in New York City have enriched my life and broadened my perceptions beyond anything that would have been possible had my parents raised me in their native homogeneous Galicia (Spain) of the 1960s and '70s. My writing reflects the vast multicultural soup in which I was thoroughly steeped and slow-cooked. So does my trilingual upbringing (Spanish, Galician, English) with their separate rich roots and very different cadences, sensibilities and predilections. These have informed my poetry, fiction, non-fiction and life in indelible ways at levels beyond conscious thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment